Nuffnang Ad

Thursday, July 10, 2014

A visit to Old Folks Home


Throwback post. 
First of all, Thanks to Yee Ching and Cheng Yee for the photos below.
Due to the needs of Moral assignment, we were planning for a simple visit to the Old Folks Home which is just next to our college.
This wasn't actually the first time for me visiting a old folks home.
I accompanied my aunts and grandpa to old folks home for donation when I was very small.
But I couldn't recall how was it since I was too small.
So, before the trip, let us let the selca first.
 Yee Ching, me and Ker Sing
 We were waiting under this crazy sun before walking to the old folks home.
You ain't get wrong! We WALKED to the old folks home.
YES! Under this crazy HAWT SUN ><#
 Old Folks Home

We then gathered at the front of the old folks home, waiting for some briefing about what we should do there.
There were 9 old people staying in this old folks home so we were divided into 9 groups to have some more personal time to interact with them.

We got Auntie Julian!
She is English educated but she can speak fluent Mandarin.
She wasn't married and she didn't want to be a burden of her siblings. She is the third out of six. And so she decided to start her retired life here.
Anyway, her siblings and relatives visit her quite often and bring her out for good food.
 Stand at the age of 62, she looked real young!
Her face looked very smooth and sparkling.
She shared a lot of her feelings to us. She taught us to appreciate everything that happened to us. She felt very thankful even when my friend gave her a pau and a cup of tea.
She never regret her choice to enter a old folks home, yet she cherished it and felt happy of her own decision.
But, I actually felt pity for her.
As you know, I got 3 aunts and they are about the same age with Auntie Julian. My aunts still lead a happy and independent and outgoing lifestyle. The most important thing is that they own their freedom. But not to Auntie Julian.
I admit that the old folks home is good. The volunteers there treat the old people good and kind. But the old folks here are not allowed to go out and spend a night outside. I think they only get to go out the compound when they are sick and wanna get the treatment at the clinic outside. Yes, they are safe but they have no freedom.
They can only do reading, sewing and sweeping the floor at their pastime.
Washing clothes seemed to be the only chores for the ladies here.
Staff did all the washing for men.
No cooking. No gardening.
Safe but no freedom.
Relaxing but boring.
I may not want to get marriage unless I get a really charm prince. But I swear I will never want to spend my old days in an old folks home. I want to use up all my money travelling and do everything I like.
 A group photo with Auntie Julian.
Performing for the old folks.
I mustered all my courage to sing 红蜻蜓 in front everybody too! Can't believe I did it. I was shy of course but I just want to realise my promise to Auntie Julian. This is a song she wanted to listen and I promised we would sing for her. So, ya I did it! :)
 Shook hands with every old people before we back.
They wished me all the best in our future. Thank you. :)
We then did some cleaning in the old folks home.
 Group photo. *Spot me! :P*
Thanks for the trip.
At first I felt nothing. But at last I felt heavy-hearted especially after I saw one of them crying and I felt they were trapped there.
God bless them have a healthy body and wealthy mind.
:)

No comments: