Nuffnang Ad

Saturday, January 9, 2016

If I stay collection

IF I STAY COLLECTION by Gayle Forman
Worth reading: ★★☆ (8/10)
Reason: Two books. Two points of view. Tragedy and Romance.

If I stay is the last book I read in 2015, whereas Where She Went is the first book I done in 2016.
I personally like If I Stay more than Where She Went.
I would give If I Stay a 9 out of 10 actually.
The story is about a girl, Mia, who had everything: a lovely family, an adoring boyfriend Adam and a bright future full of music and choices met an accident and lost almost everything that she owned.
The author tells the book in the point of view of Mia.
She becomes a 'soul' and she recalls how she met Adam for the first time and some family memories.
And also as a 'soul', she is able to sees those who visit her and listens to everything they are telling.
Although she is in the state of coma, she knows that her parents and little brother Teddy had killed in that accident.
Caught between a happy past and an unknowable future, she spends one critical day contemplating the only decision she has left, the most important decision she'll ever make: live or leave.

description

I don't like Adam initially because he didn't appear in front of Mia at the very first time. As Mia's soul keeps searching for him. I thought maybe this isn't a true love you know.
But I started to have a crush on him after he appears and he begs so hard to meet Mia even for one glance. He plans with Mia's best friend, Kim so that they could enter the ward secretly, without nurse's knowing and without trouble Mia's grandparents.
His courage and his love towards Mia turn him a Hero!
I hate the nurse and feel like scolding them when they stop Adam from meeting Mia!! LOL
That is the part which I really enjoy reading in this book.

After all, reading this book really made me kinda sad those few days.
'Cuz I feel Mia is too pity and she is in coma and I really hope she can wake up soon.
I love this book not only because of it touches me, but also I can imagine the scene that is happening.
I love books which can make me imagine, like I am watching the drama, characters acting in front of me.
That's why I love this book so much.
More than the sequel.

For Where She Went, the author tells the story using the point of view of Adam.
When I first reading the few pages of it and I realized the point of view is changing, I am kinda disappointed.
'Cuz I was still so into the atmosphere of the first book, can't wait to know how's Mia when she wakes up and you didn't tell me the answer immediately and yet, you changed the thing. I just feel everything was just wrong. So sad.
There are a lot of readers who like this book more than the first one and it gains higher rate. But it is not my cup of tea, sorry to say.

It's been three years since that devastating accident.
And also three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever.
They are both developing their music career: Mia is a rising star at Juilliard and Adam is a bona fide rock star, complete with tabloid headlines and a celebrity girlfriend.
Fate somehow, brings them together again.
Adam is having his recording session and interview in New York and he sees Mia. Well, her picture. Standing there with her cello. He decides to hear her play in the corner of the hall. Even he can't see her from the seat, just hearing her would be enough. Mia catches him and has him come backstage to say hello.
That is the first time they meet again, after three years. That awkward moment huh.
And the story of theirs develops.

I admit I didn't read this book with 100% attention coz I can't really get into it. Maybe because my poor language or because it just doesn't hit my expectation in the beginning Idk?
But it is not a bad book!!!
It is still very well-written and kinda romantic and touching under the theme of lasting love.

So, I guess that's all for this book review.
Still a good collection of books that I would recommend for you guys. 
The sentences are easy but touching. The stories are romantic too.
Yay, I love books!
And gonna push myself harder to read more this year!
Ciao.
xoxo

No comments: