Nuffnang Ad

Monday, June 16, 2014

The Five People You Meet in Heaven

THE FIVE PEOPLE YOU MEET IN HEAVEN by Mitch Albom
Worth reading: ★★★★☆ (9/10)
Reason: Touched by the philosophies on life written by the author. Meaningful.

As the title said, The five people you meet in heaven.
The book is about the five people Eddie meets when he is in heaven when he dies in a tragic accident, trying to save a little girl from a falling cart. He dies on his 83rd birthday.
I'm not going to tell you who are the 5 people Eddie meets in heaven in this post, no spoiler today, you gotta read yourself. 
What I'm going to share today is some quotes that I found kinda interesting and meaningful in this book.
To be frank, I'm touched by the lessons inside the book, but not the story itself. Those quotes really make me think a lot. 
  1. Fairness does not govern life and death. If it did, no good person would ever die young.
  2. That death doesn't just take someone, it misses someone else, and in the small distance between being taken and being missed, lives are changed.
  3. Strangers are just family you haven't yet to come to know.
  4. Sometimes when you sacrifice something precious, you're not really losing it. You're passing it on to someone else.
  5. Holding anger is a poison. It eats you from inside. We think that hating is a weapon that attacks the person who harmed us. But hatred is a curved blade. And the harm we do, we do to ourselves.
  6. Lost love is still love. You can't see their smile or bring them food or tousle their hair or move them around a dance floor. But when those senses weaken, another heightens. Memory. Memory becomes your partner. You nurture it. You hold it. You dance with it.
  7. Life has to end. Love doesn't.
I read this book fast because I can't wait to know who is the next person Eddie gonna meet and what lesson the next person would share with him.

I learnt that we are in this world for a reason as the last sentence in the book states 'That each affects the other and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one.' So, no one in this world is going to be totally useless. 
From this, I know that we gotta be wise in taking actions, think twice before we carry out anything because what we do will definitely change something, affect something, someone.
I am a teacher-to-be and what I do will surely influence a kid. I not dare to say that I can improve their academy during my practicum period but I just hope that I could at least make them fall in love in Chinese subject. At least at least don't lost their interest in this subject after I teach.
I also learnt that death is not a big deal, everybody will die, one day. Ya, we will be sad over somebody's death but love will never change and memories either. Thus, we should appreciate every moments and try to create memories for tomorrow. Learn to appreciate and sacrifice and learn not to hate.

I don't know what I'm typing. I don't know does it really related to this book. I just feel like typing what comes across my mind. Sound sentimental? All due to this book!
Thanks for reading my book review and hope you enjoy reading books!
Ciao!! :)

No comments: