Nuffnang Ad

Monday, November 25, 2013

My Sister's Keeper

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult.
Worth reading: ★★ (8/10)
Reason: The twist at the end - astonishing!

It was like finally I had finished reading this novel. I get attracted when I first read through the synopsis last year and decided to buy it using my book voucher this year. I started reading it during my June holidays? I couldn't really remember. I couldn't stop reading as I want to know more about it but too bad I stopped when a new semester started over. Pause for a long while and finally I continued it this holidays. I was a bit disconnected and feel bored in reading coz I forgot some details and character in the beginning but somehow the words used by the author are simple and brought me back to the story itself. 

"The only way to save your daughter is to sacrifice her sister. What would you do?"
Is this sentence strong enough to arouse your curiosity? It did for my case! This story is about Fitzgerald family designed baby Anna to save their elder daughter Kate who is diagnosed with a rare form of leukaemia by taking her marrow each time when Kate get relapsed. And Anna decided to file a lawsuit to sue her parents for the rights to her own body when she is asked to donate her kidney when she is thirteen.

The story is very attractive coz you keep desperate to know how the story develops. Anna loves her sister and how could she be so cruel by refusing to help her sister and what is her reason behind? Anna is Fitzgerald's daughter too but how come her parents always take care of Kate only and never think of Anna's will? What happened to the family's relationship when the daughter sues her parents? How the author ends this story - will Anna donate her kidney?

I personally love the last part of the novel about the scene in the court. The scene is so clear like you're watching a drama as you can imagine how the lawyer and the mama protest their view vividly. This story is touched because you will get to know how everyone thinks over the same incident as the author uses the first person view for several characters. It is really touched in the end when I know that Anna refused to donate her kidney is not because of her selfishness, but her love towards her sister. She wants to stop her sister from living such terrible life by going to hospital often to undergo medical treatments. 'Ten years from now, I'd like to be Kate's sister.', this sentence nearly makes me cry.

When you're doubtful how this story gonna end when the lawsuit is done and Anna is declared to be medically emancipated from her parents, she died. I was really shocked by this twist! I re-read 3 times to make sure I am not misunderstanding the story. She died in an accident when she back from the court and without further thinking, you know her kidney will be donated to save her sister Kate. Although the ending is out of expectation, it is really a suitable ending. I cant think of any other suitable ending because if she donates her kidney at last what for she fights so hard throughout the whole story? And if she doesn't, it is cruel and sad to see her own sister dies isn't it?. So, I really respect the brilliance of the author for giving this story such an astonishing ending. 

In this book, you will see the care between parents and children. the love between sisters. the responsible and trust between lawyer and client, the courage and independence of a thirteen-year-ole. And the most important thing is the life and death and morality. Grab this book because it is thoughtful and worth reading. =)

No comments: